services to empower you
What we do
Access Law supports strata corporations and lot owners in navigating a wide variety of issues, including bylaw drafting and enforcement, strata council government and maintenance, and the collection of maintenance assessments and special levies. We advise on the interpretation and application of the Strata Property Act and, where there is a dispute, can help to quickly resolve it through mediation, arbitration, or legal proceedings.
Clients involved in real estate transactions and development must deal with municipalities on a daily basis. Accordingly, they need legal counsel who understand the extent and limits of municipal authority.
Developers, lenders, utility providers, and property owners and purchasers throughout the Lower Mainland depend on Access Law to help them navigate complex municipal processes and achieve the outcomes they need.
Our lawyers can advise you on a wide variety of municipal issues, including land use, zoning, subdivision, building and development permits, expropriation, water rights, agri-tourism, and Board of Variance appeals.
We consult on Local Government Act and Vancouver Charter, as well as related provincial and federal environmental legislation, including Waste Management Act, and Freedom of Information.
Civil Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Litigation is a complex minefield where good counsel is invaluable; an unrepresented or ineffectively represented litigant can fare poorly despite having a strong case.
Whether before the courts or tribunals, in mediations or arbitrations, or engaging in alternative dispute resolution, our lawyers have a history of achieving favourable resolutions for our clients. We are ready, willing, and able to navigate any manner of civil dispute.
As lawyers dedicated to excellence, our extensive track record includes the largest wrongful death award in Canadian history, as well as over four decades of dealing with the most complex brain, balance and catastrophic injuries.
We also understand that injuries suffered in modest accidents can be life altering and produce permanent disabilities. Concussions can result in lasting cognitive impairment, depression, and headaches which can cut short a successful career. Soft-tissue injuries can become chronic despite years of rehabilitation, and can leave a previously strong individual with debilitating pain. An injury can cause or exacerbate a pre-existing psychological condition, such as PTSD, depression, or anxiety disorder.
Initial physical injuries can also conceal a more serious brain or psychological injury with the result that many lawyers lose key opportunities to collect essential medical evidence. We are constantly keeping up with ICBC regulations to ensure that your case is successfully heard in court. We are alive to these issues from our first meeting with you.
Many successful and hard-working persons initially minimize their injuries as they try to keep up with the demands of their busy lives. Consulting a lawyer is the last thing on their minds. Yet documenting the details of their injuries and the accident in a timely fashion is essential to establishing a strong claim.
While you are working hard in your rehabilitation plan or adjusting to your new normal, Access Law Group will be crafting the evidence needed to support your claim. Whether your injuries are clearly catastrophic or characterized as “minor” by the wrongdoer or their insurer, we will use the same energy and care to help you recover the compensation you need.
Employment & Labour Law
We also assist in the interpretation and application of collective agreement provisions and represent employees, employers and unions where there is a dispute. Access Law can help you to advance a grievance to arbitration or defend against a grievance, pursue an unfair representation claim to the Labour Relations Board, or assist with a wrongful dismissal claim in Supreme Court.
The maze of common law, collective agreements, statutory employment standards, and human rights laws amount to a regulatory minefield which requires seasoned professional advice. For those difficult claims which don’t resolve pragmatically, our extensive court experience is invaluable to assessing a potential claim and, if necessary, seeing it through litigation.
- Providing advice regarding compliance with a wide variety of legislation including the Employment Standards Act, Workers’ Compensation Board Act, Human Rights Act and relevant regulations and case law.
- Pursuing injunctive relief against employees for use of confidential business information, client lists and trade secrets by terminated employees. Pursuing and defending wrongful dismissal claims pursuant to the Employment Standards Act.
- Investigating Human Rights Act complaints, advising on human rights matters, such as sexual harassment policies, age and racial discrimination in the context of the race, age or sex requirements of the human rights legislation. Providing advice on policies respecting access by controversial groups to public facilities.
- Assisting in interpretation and application of collective agreement.
- Assisting in negotiating and drafting collective agreement provisions. Defending against grievances commenced by employees. Negotiating mediated settlements where appropriate.
- Initiating policy grievances on behalf of the employer. Commencing applications to the Labour Board and Supreme Court where necessary to limit or restrict picketing.
- Defending management exclusions and a variety of related proceedings before the Labour Relations Board.